Our interns at Saco River Wildlife Center are truly a vital part of our organization and the life-saving work we do. While completing an internship at our center, students can expect to get valuable, hands-on experience working alongside permitted wildlife rehabilitates, our highly skilled veterinarian, and our dedicated volunteers.
Internship job title: Wildlife Care Intern
Type of Position: Unpaid Internship
Duration: To be determined
- Direct Animal Care
- Cleaning cages/enclosures
- Providing enrichment for patients
- Assisting a trained professional with medical treatments/examinations
- Assisting with wildlife intake protocol
- Basic cleaning: sweeping/mopping floors, dishes, laundry, etc.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Must be able to provide own transportation
- 18 years or older
- Associate’s or higher OR currently attending a program in a related field (Animal behavior, wildlife management, ecology, biology, veterinary medicine or technology, environmental conservation, communications, nonprofit administration, etc.)
- Availability to work at least one 4-hour shifts a week
- Compassion for wildlife and eagerness to learn in a fast paced and hands-on environment
- Dependable and punctual with excellent communication skills
Learning Outcomes and Goals
- Demonstrate proper handling techniques of wildlife
- Identify native Maine wildlife characteristics and species information
- Apply knowledge of dietary needs of specific species and assist with food preparation
- Correctly demonstrate various feeding methods
- Demonstrate the ability to assist trained staff with treatment procedures and enrichment
- Identify common illnesses/disease and protocols/treatment of them
- Demonstrate the proper use of Personal Protective Equipment and the importance of sanitation as it relates to infectious diseases
- Recognize the importance of being minimally invasive with interactions in order to keep our patients wild and reduce unnecessary stimulation/stress
Ready to apply?
Fill out an application and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to attach a current resume. If you have any questions, please send us an email to this address.
Internship submissions are always accepted and are filled on a rolling basis.